The Classics Company
Theatre Ancaster launched an exciting new theatre program in September 2019, specially designed for those ages 55 and over.
This new Classics program aims to provide opportunities for people 55 and over to participate in quality theatre in both musical and non-musical shows.
In 2019, we presented South Pacific in Concert and an original play written by Theatre Ancaster directors, Stranded.
The company rehearses Monday evenings from September through December with added rehearsals in the new year before the initial performance dates.
Musical shows are concert versions of the “classics” with musicians on stage with the singers. There is no choreography or sets. Lighting, sound, visuals, some minor props, and costume accessories accent formal evening wear. Well-rehearsed scripts on stage will offset the need for memorization.
Non-musical shows will either be original collective shows created by Theatre Ancaster directors and casts or productions of “classic” shows. For the non-musical plays, actors use well-rehearsed scripts on stage as needed, some props, and basic costuming. There is lighting, sound and incidental music for underscoring and scene changes.
Here is some basic information about both the musical and non-musical programs:
- There will be an audition to join the musical production part of the program.
- Participation in the non-musical part of the program will require a meeting but not an entry audition.
- Scripts will be used on stage as needed.
- Participants in the program will receive training in theatre skills as we prepare for the production.
- The cost for the program is $100 per year.
Program Leaders: Krys Croxall, Al Croxall, Gord Conroy and Steve Becker.