The Classics Company
Theatre Ancaster announces an exciting new theatre program beginning September 2019, specially designed for those age 55 and over.
This new program aims to provide opportunities for people 55 and over to participate in quality theatre in both musical and non-musical shows.
The company will rehearse Monday evenings from September through December with added rehearsals in the new year before the initial performance dates in late winter and early spring.
Each annual program will culminate in concert productions of “classic” musicals such as Oklahoma, South Pacific, My Fair Lady, Company, and/or plays by popular playwrights including Ancaster’s Norm Foster, Neil Simon, Tom Stoppard or Alan Ayckbourne.
Musical shows will be concert versions of the “classics” with musicians on stage with the singers. There will be no choreography or sets. Lighting, sound, visuals, some minor props, and costume accessories will accent formal evening wear. Well-rehearsed scripts on stage will offset the need for memorization.
For the non-musical plays, actors will use well-rehearsed scripts on stage, some props, and basic costuming. There will be lighting, sound, and incidental music for underscoring and scene changes.
All applicants are welcome! No previous experience is necessary.
- There will be an audition to join the musical production part of the program, as it is important that all those participants can “carry a tune” and have a reasonable singing voice.
- Participation in the non-musical part of the program will not require an entry audition.
- Those who are in the program will have an opportunity to audition for roles in the show planned for the season.
- Scripts will be used on stage – no memorization required!
- Participants in the program will receive training in theatre skills as we prepare for the production.
- The cost for the program is $100 per year.
Program Leaders: Krys Croxall, Al Croxall, Gord Conroy and Steve Becker.
Please join us at our Classics Company info session to learn more about this exciting new program!
Monday, April 29 at 7:00 pm
Old Firehall Arts Centre (upstairs)
334 Wilson Street East, Ancaster
If you wish to attend or have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com